If you are like most people, you probably enjoy a nice fire on a cold day. But I’m sure that you don’t enjoy dealing with mice, ants, or spiders appearing out of nowhere. If this has happened, you may want to know where those pests are coming from? There are several pests that like to hide inside stored firewood. These pests sometimes end up being carried inside, without you knowing it, to begin an infestation inside your home. Here are a few pests that can cause problems once inside.
Mice: Mice are well known for creeping into homes once the weather gets cold, and they aren’t likely to move back out when it warms up again. Mice have the awful habit of keeping people awake at night with their scratching, chewing, and scampering noises inside walls, and the unfortunate ability to spread parasites and harmful bacteria around your home.
Carpenter Ants: If carpenter ants get inside your walls, they will create tunnels which can, over time, weaken and warp support structures, make windows and doors stick, and result in costly repairs.
Spiders: Spiders are another pest that is famous for hiding on firewood. They set up webs and sacks of spider eggs in wood, which hatch in the warm temperatures of a home. This can lead to hundreds of tiny spiders crawling around on your walls and on your furniture.
Firewood Pest Prevention Tips
- The first thing you can do to prevent firewood pests is to keep that firewood piled well away from the exterior of your home, and up off the ground.
- Keep that firewood covered with a tarp or other material that will keep it dry. Pests prefer wet wood.
- Don’t leave wood on the pile too long. Use all the wood in the pile before taking newer wood that was stacked on top.
- Pests prefer older wood to infest.
- Avoid pesticides. This will only make the pests burrow more deeply into the wood, and the chemicals will be released upon burning. This is not a good idea.
- Only bring in what you need at the time. If you bring in extra wood that won’t be burned for a few days, there is more chance that pests hiding inside will escape into your home.
If you are experiencing problems with mice, carpenter ants, spiders, or any other household pest this season, reach out to Budget Pest Control at 412-318-4912. Our pest control experts can take care of current infestations, or prevent future infestations from occurring.